Writing a Book? Time to Consult an Independent Editor
My name is Robin Smith; my one-woman company is Robin Smith Ink. I offer my editing talent and skills gained from thirty-plus years of experience--including over two decades at three major mainstream NYC book publishers: Putnam Penguin, Facts on File, and Random House—to writers in all stages of manuscript development and creation:
- The final edit of a finished manuscript before submission to agents, acquiring in-house editors, or to the publishing house with whom you already have a relationship when fine tuning is of essential importance.
- I edit a variety of fiction, nonfiction, narrative nonfiction, reference books on a variety of topics, and memoirs.
- I work with experienced, published writers as well as writers working on their first book as they discover the joys and frustrations of creating a book-length manuscript. I take on and advise on all aspects of the manuscript—from development through to the final version for submission.
- For fiction, I add a professional pair of eyes to analyze how to improve the storytelling to make it as strong as possible: evaluating the three-dimensional quality of the background for the events, assuring bullet-proof, well woven plotlines, and making sure you’ve developed three-dimensional characters who engage the readers’ emotions and imaginations. As I line edit, I make suggestions about interweaving plotlines seamlessly and filling out characters’ profiles, as well as sometimes suggesting they could be brought forward in the action and events, or if they need to be deleted, combined with another, or enhanced.
- With nonfiction, I work to ensure that the topics covered under the subject matter of the book are thorough, clear, and concise. Different disciplines require a variety of focuses, and that will, of course, be taken into account.
Call me: 828-483-6266 —We can discuss your project. You can ask me any relevant questions about the depth and width of my experience, pricing, and, if you’re interested, I can do a sample edit of about 1200 words with full content and copy editing, and any notes about my response to your work.
What Author’s Are Saying About Robin Smith
Robin Smith is professional in every sense of the word: precise, honest, and always insightful. While in the final stages of writing my novel, I wanted someone with a strong background and a fine reputation to edit my work. I chose Robin and couldn’t have been more pleased. Robin ‘got’ my story and the characters right away, and it was with that keen understanding that she edited my work beautifully. Besides being extremely talented, Robin is a terrific person whom … Read More
My native language is Hungarian, and now and then I feel I’ve already forgotten how to speak Hungarian but I don’t know how to speak English yet. Robin helped me find my English voice. There are times I have the impression she can read my mind, and only a great editor is able to do that. I’m thankful for her help in completing my new novel. –Laszlo Hadju, author of a number of titles, most recently High Tea in Aswan
I had always wanted to write a book based on my career in the hotel business. I had written ad copy, training programs, marketing plans and a good number of speeches, but the book always hung there. When my last company sold, I sat down and began writing Saving the Hotel St. George, A fictitious hotel where I could put real “hotel happenings” from all over the United States. I created the characters as composites of people I knew. I … Read More
Working with Robin on These Animals Are Killing Me was a pleasure, not normally a word I would use concerning editing. We spent a lot of time going back and forth and discussing the project versus simply having suggested edits sent to me, with little to no room for adjustment. I appreciated the fact she was willing to talk over the phone and not just via email. Robin is very personable, and I love her sense of humor. I wish … Read More
The first rule in self-publishing is to have the manuscript scrubbed by a good editor. I was very fortunate to choose Robin Smith as my editor. Her superb edits were helped make my writing career possible. Robin’s edits are insightful and educational and guided me in improving my writing skills as well as my manuscripts. My first novel, which Robin edited, was a Spur Award finalist and was a finalist for the New Mexico Arizona Book Awards. Her edits helped … Read More